Rugby sevens, with its fast-paced action, skillful play, and electrifying moments, has produced some exceptional athletes who have showcased their talent on the world stage. These players have left an indelible mark on the sport, capturing the hearts of fans with their exceptional skills, leadership, and game-changing abilities. In this article, we celebrate the 10 best rugby sevens players of all time.
- Waisale Serevi (Fiji): Known as the “Maestro of Sevens,” Waisale Serevi is widely regarded as one of the greatest rugby sevens players of all time. The Fijian legend’s sublime footwork, vision, and creativity set him apart. Serevi’s dazzling skills and ability to single-handedly change the outcome of a match made him a true icon of the sport.
- Ben Gollings (England): Ben Gollings is the all-time leading point scorer in rugby sevens, showcasing his exceptional kicking and playmaking abilities. As a versatile player, Gollings possessed great speed, agility, and accuracy in his passing and kicking game. His remarkable consistency and longevity in the sport make him a true legend.
- DJ Forbes (New Zealand): DJ Forbes, the former New Zealand captain, was a powerhouse in rugby sevens. Renowned for his physicality, work rate, and leadership skills, Forbes played a crucial role in New Zealand’s success during his career. His ability to dominate the breakdown and lead by example set him apart as one of the best forwards in sevens history.
- Cecil Afrika (South Africa): Cecil Afrika’s agility, speed, and tactical awareness made him one of the most dangerous players on the field. As a prolific try scorer, Afrika played a pivotal role in South Africa’s successes, including their 2016 Olympic Games gold medal. His ability to create opportunities and finish with precision established him as a true game-changer.
- Tomasi Cama (New Zealand): Tomasi Cama was a masterful playmaker, renowned for his vision, creativity, and exceptional passing ability. Cama’s understanding of the game and his ability to control the tempo of matches made him a key figure in New Zealand’s dominance during his career. He played a significant role in the team’s multiple World Series victories.
- Dan Norton (England): Dan Norton holds the record for the most tries scored in World Rugby Sevens Series history. His incredible speed, footwork, and elusiveness have made him a prolific try-scoring threat. Norton’s ability to finish in tight spaces and create opportunities out of seemingly impossible situations is a testament to his skill and game awareness.
- Kyle Brown (South Africa): Kyle Brown was an inspirational leader and a versatile forward for the South African sevens team. His physicality, work ethic, and exceptional skills in the breakdown made him a force to be reckoned with. Brown’s ability to motivate his teammates and lead by example earned him immense respect in the rugby sevens community.
- Tim Mikkelson (New Zealand): Tim Mikkelson, a stalwart of the New Zealand team, has consistently been one of the best all-round players in sevens. His speed, strength, and versatility allowed him to excel in various positions. Mikkelson’s exceptional ball-handling skills and game intelligence made him a constant threat in attack and defense.
- Collins Injera (Kenya): Collins Injera is Kenya’s all-time leading try scorer and one of the most exciting players to watch. Injera’s blistering speed, agility, and remarkable try-scoring ability have made him a true game-changer for his country. His electrifying runs and breathtaking tries have left an indelible mark on rugby sevens.
- Jerry Tuwai (Fiji): Jerry Tuwai is a modern-day superstar in rugby sevens. As the captain of the Fiji sevens team, Tuwai has displayed exceptional skills, vision, and leadership. His agility, footwork, and game awareness have made him a formidable force on the field. Tuwai’s ability to control the tempo of matches and create opportunities for his teammates has been instrumental in Fiji’s success.
Honorable Mentions: While it’s challenging to narrow down the list to just 10 players, there have been many other exceptional talents in rugby sevens. Players like Samisoni Viriviri (Fiji), Ben Ryan (England), Santiago Gomez Cora (Argentina), and Karl Te Nana (New Zealand) have also made significant contributions to the sport.
In conclusion, these 10 players, along with several others, have left an indelible mark on the sport of rugby sevens. Their exceptional skills, leadership qualities, and game-changing abilities have made them legends in the eyes of fans and their peers alike. As rugby sevens continues to evolve, we eagerly anticipate the rise of new stars who will add their names to the pantheon of the sport’s greatest players.